GEMS Holdings Ltd. and its properties – Secret Bay, The Residences at Secret Bay, Fort Young Hotel & Dive Resort and Tibay Villas – have implemented proactive measures related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) to promote a safe and secure environment for our staff and guests.
On March 22, 2020, Dominica recorded it’s first imported case of COVID-19. The patient, a Dominican citizen who recently returned from the United Kingdom, was placed in self-quarantine under medical surveillance on arrival and subsequently transferred to a special isolation unit for treatment following the positive test result.
While there is no evidence of community spread in Dominica, we are taking strict and proactive measures to protect all our guests, staff and community as we face the difficult challenge of responding to this global pandemic.
Rest assured that the wellbeing, health and comfort of our guests and employees is of paramount importance. We continue to closely monitor the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Pan-American Health Organization and World Health Organization’s statements regarding COVID-19. Our properties are following the recommended guidelines from these established medical institutions, along with our local health authorities. Precautionary measures implemented to date, include:
- All staff members are briefed regularly on the guidelines and protocols provided by the local health authorities, including safe personal hygiene, symptoms to look out for, preventative measures and general education about COVID-19.
- Guests who are unwell with any symptoms of fever, flu or respiratory problems are asked to consult a doctor immediately. Our properties will assist with contacting a doctor if needed.
- Staff who are unwell with any symptoms of fever, flu or respiratory problems are required to remain at home. They are encouraged to implement a prevention plan at home to avoid spreading from home to work and vice versa.
- Properties are equipped with, and regularly assessed for, medical masks, gloves, eye protection, cleaning supplies, and biohazard bags, as well as ample hand sanitizer at communal and guest contact areas.
- Emergency supplies such as water and food have been assessed to ensure adequate quantities are available.
- Special attention has also been placed to regularly sanitize public contact points such as elevator buttons, reception counters, conference/meeting rooms, and all guest and staff facilities.
- Housekeeping, maintenance, grounds and staff are required to wear gloves and are trained on the proper techniques for removal of gloves to avoid contamination.
- Staff members have been advised to avoid shaking hands, and have been advised about proper procedures for luggage handling, housekeeping and room service.
- Social distancing has been implemented at the restaurants, bars and conference facilities by reducing seat capacity, suspending self-service and encouraging take-out.
- Restaurant tables, chairs and door handles are sanitized after each use.
- Properties are conducting daily meetings to review the status of COVID-19 and staff and guests are duly appraised of necessary updates.
We are confident our properties are operating safely on behalf of our guests and associates and will continue to work closely with and abide by the guidelines provided by WHO, PAHO, CDC and local health authorities.
On March 13, 2020, Madamenoire published this story titled “5 Quieter Caribbean Islands To Escape To Now”.
On March 13, 2020, Conde Nast Traveler published this story titled “We Still Believe in Travel”.
On March 4, 2020, Travel Pulse reported that travelers are wise to take the COVID-19 outbreak seriously, but there are a handful of facts to consider before canceling any travel plans or ruling out travel entirely. Read the full story here.
On March 3, 2020, Adventure.com published this common-sense guide to travel in the age of COVID-19.
We hope to serve as a welcome escape from the current stresses of everyday news and life. We look forward to welcoming you to the Caribbean’s “Nature Island.” Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions or concerns.